Well, today is my birthday, which means I’ve just turned 38. I was just thinking, “When my dad was 38, I was 16.” That just seems unreal to me. My dad referred to himself as “the old man” even back then when would talk with me, especially after he’d made a point about something.
“I guess the old man still knows a thing or two, huh?”
That’s a made up quote.
Still, while I didn’t see my dad as some “old fart,” he was still WAY up there in age. He was “Dad” and my mom (then 37) was “Mom.” That carried a certain weight to it and a certain level of implied maturity if nothing else.
I look in the mirror, and not being married and not having children, mentally I don’t feel any different than when I was 16.
Well, that’s not completely true. Some of what was important or cool to me then isn’t to me now.
- Mullets are not cool.
- Guys wearing mascara isn’t just a weird choice, its just completely WRONG no matter how cool the music is (that doesn’t include the old KISS because they weren’t wearing women’s makeup).
- Some “watery tart” turning me down doesn’t matter much to me.
- Popularity means nothing.
- Music videos are overrated (they were SOOOO cool back then).
- Knight Rider is not a great show (though I still want a KITT-type system in my vehicle).
- A-Team is not a great show.
I’m sure there are more, but being tired, I can’t think of anything else.
Well, here’s to another year.